Sunday, December 16, 2012


AP3D Q2: I went to the Lego exhibition of Nathan Sawaya's works a couple of weekends ago. One Friday afternoon I was like, "hey, I need to go to the Lego thing." And Ellen was like, "hey, I do too. Let's go do that now." And so we did. Going to an art-thing with one's favorite artist is just super-cool, if you feel me.

Aanyways, at the exhibit I noted a number of things. First and foremost, the lighting. A vast majority of the dude's pieces were solid colors (as you can see to the left), and had he not taken into account lighting when building them, well, he might as well have been painting a 2D blob. We also had a discussion as to whether he had decided on his exhibit's lighting, or if the curator at the MBS did. The lighting definitely contributed to the work, and we noticed specifically that those sculptures which were blue had blue-and-white lighting, while those which were red had red, and so on.

The sculpture I liked the least was a heart made of recycled Lego pieces. It was meant to be conceptual and had an affixed textual explanation of how hole-y heart metaphorically standing for the global love which results from recycling those pieces of our hearts which... let's be honest, the heart looked like something I made out of Legos when I was four.

His commentary on his "Yellow" sculpture was amusing. If you've not seen it, you probably have, on Tumblr or Reddit or your mom's Facebook feed. It's a Lego guy ripping open his chest from which his contents explode out. The artist stated that the sculpture is his most recognized piece, because it could be felt and related to by both adults and kids. On an adult-level old people resonate with the feeling of wanting to explode or something, and on the kid-level a dude with his guts exploding looks cool. If it's not apparent, I'm still on the kid-level of art analysis over here.

I was kind of disappointed he didn't make use of an RCX or NXT in his exhibit. I mean, he's got some pretty cool junk, but attach a motor or twenty to one of them things and not only could he have a huge dinosaur, but he could have a huge dinosaur that walks. Seriously.

My favorite sculpture was the dinosaur, which was pretty cool to look at not only because it looked like a legit, standard-science-museum T-Rex, but you could walk around it in the shadows projected by the exhibit, and it felt like you were in some Jurassic jungle with all the pterodactyls and stuff on the walls, as you can see on the right. Yay.

Also also also, he mentioned something about the human form and how it was interesting to create out of Legos because Legos are only meant to offer that standard, blocky shape, and he has managed to create the curves of the human body- the spine, legs, hips, bellies- by breaking them down to their component pieces. It's kind of what I wanted to do with my failed cardboard sculpture.

I mostly liked that he didn't try to apply a lot of PIBA to his creations. They were just cool-looking Lego stuffs and The End.

-Emily